Okay, so I am back. The last few years have been pretty depressing (well, except for my kids...they are pretty cool). We have been on a tear to get out of debt. We have paid off over $45K in 4 years. Of course that meant selling the home we had made (my first mothers day gift, the home all my boys learned to walk in, the home where we brought two of them home from the hospital, I could go on and on), moved to another city (which I hated because it wasn't where I had been), and have been without (a lot!). We are down to the last 6 or 7K and feel like we can breath again. My DH has promised it would get better. Sorry to say, I kinda quit believing him about half way through, and just gave up....
We did manage to find a house to buy in the new town, but it is far from my old house. I know this sounds petty, and trite, but I miss the niceties (is that a word) from my old house - especially the newness. We had that home built for us, were there for all the big building days, and had my baby's foot and hand prints in the driveway. New kitchen, new carpet, then hardwood, and new everything. And one thing that goes along with new is that you know it works!
In our now house, an immediate fix that was needed was the HVAC unit. Previous owner said she didn't use them (had space heaters and opened the windows) and the unit was dated from before either my DH or I were born (1964!) It worked when we first moved in, but within 3 weeks died. That was August - in the South - where it gets very, very hot. Since we were intent on debt free living, we waited - until we had the cash to buy a new unit - and that took us through the end of summer to the middle of winter. No AC or heat people! Not that I think I am spoiled or anything, but bundling your 3 kids up in front of the wood burning fireplace on 20 degree nights is my idea of starving! But eventually we came up with the $, DH bought a unit from out of state and we drove to get it (saved tax, and only about an hours drive) and installed it ourselves. Yep, I got under the house with him (sometimes) and learned how to make HVAC ducts, bent the metal, put in the grommety things, and taped. Well, my DH did most of it, but I was under the house helping him. Our first hurdle was jumped!
In our now house, none of the overhead lights work in the bedrooms...DH has tried to fix it, new wiring, new switches, etc and it just won't fix. So an electrician is needed, and we don't have the $, so we wait. DH did manage to make the electric outlet in the kitchen work so that the microwave and refrigerator no longer require the neon orange electric cords snaking over my kitchen walls (waited 3 1/2 years). We almost immediately took down all of the shelves on the ceiling - you know the ones that are about a foot below the ceiling and extend around the entire room. They were in both the living room and dining room/kitchen. And slowly are patching the walls (the lady who lived here had Jesus pictures EVERYWHERE. It is hard to cook with Jesus watching you!) and repainting. The first room we did was for Boy2...and my mom came from out of town to finance/help rip wall paper, repaint, and sewed a dust ruffle to match the roman blind I had made for the window. Thanks Mom! Bought the fabric on clearance for $3 a yard. But still not enough. I needed more!
No comments:
Post a Comment